You are walking along minding your own business when suddenly you hear a zzziiiinnngg near your left ear. You lean to the right just in time. Zzziiiiinnnnngg! Right ear this time. Quick, lean left. A near miss. Next one’s just over your head. You duck. A step forward. . . and just in time you lift your right foot and narrowly step over the pile of dog poop in your pathway. Life is dangerous business. Negative thoughts come at you from every imaginable direction and in multiplied intensity at varying times throughout your day. If you turn on the news, wear a helmet. Going to work? Combat boots. Walmart? Perhaps a space suit. An entire atmosphere can be charged with negative thoughts, ideas, and words.
May I suggest that you seriously consider building a force field as soon as possible. In order to protect yourself, have a set standard of thinking from which you will not waver. Choose at least one thought that will become yours. Repeat it until it is your friend. It makes you smile. It gives you comfort. You can rest in it. It is truth from God. It could be a a verse of Scripture. It can be a word, a phrase, or a sentence, but make it yours. When bullets and poop are ever pressing in around you, you will not have time to think up a positive thought. You must already have it in your heart.
Start today. I’ve listed a few suggestions. You will find thousands more within the sixty-six books of the Bible. Start with one and make it yours, then add another and another. You can probably make over one hundred friends like this in your lifetime. They can serve as your force field and you will be able to safely maneuver the dangerous negatives that share our world.
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
- God favors me today. God is with me today. I am someone very special to the Lord.
- If God be for me, who can be against me! Romans 8:31
- He will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Him because he trusts in Him! Isaiah 26:3
- Everything’s gonna be alright.
- God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- I am successful at my job; I am prospering through my work. Abundance. Health. Joy. Strength. Love.
- Today is going to be a great day because Jesus Christ lives big in me today and every day.
Choose one you believe and let it roll around in your head. Say it aloud. Say it quietly. Meditate it silently. Try for one hundred times a day until you get to one thousand. Before you know it, you will be able to walk through a minefield and end up safely on the other side of your day, smiling, and having left a trail of goodness along the way.
It also isn’t a bad idea to watch where you step.